8.08.2011

RESIDENT EVIL: RETRIBUTION Coming In 2012



I'm a huge fan of RESIDENT EVIL. The video games at least. Ever since I played the first game on the PS1 back in the day, I was in love. And when I heard that it was being adapted into a film, I was ecstatic. But I must admit, the first movie was a bit of a disappointment and although the sequels were better, none of them do justice to the video games. I still remember playing the original game by myself at night, and being terrified every time I ran out of ammo and had to try and kills hordes of undead with just a knife. The atmosphere is what made the games so great, and it's exactly what's lacking in the films.
So now we have another installment in the RESIDENT EVIL movie franchise. The fifth film titled RESIDENT EVIL: RETRIBUTION is on it's way, and I can't decided whether that's a good thing or not. On the one hand there is still the opportunity to make a film worthy of the RESIDENT EVIL title, but on the other hand there's a big chance that it will just be another mediocre entry into the fairly average franchise. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what unfolds.

Anyway, the new movie is expected to begin October 10th and will be shooting on location in both Toronto, Canada and Tokyo, Japan. There's been no confirmation whether Paul W.S. Anderson will be directing, but it's likely that he has written the script, since he's written all of the previous ones.
As for the cast, all we have so far is that Milla Jovovich will returning as Alice, Ali Larter will be playing Claire Redfield and Sienna Guillory will be playing Jill Valentine.
As much as I found the films to be disappointing, they have been a huge hit internationally with the last film AFTERLIFE grossing nearly $300 million worldwide so it's no surprise that another installment is in the works.

The film is set to open September 14th 2012.
Stay tuned for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment