6.24.2011

THE HUMAN CENTIPEDE (FIRST SEQUENCE) (2009) Review


Directed by: Tom Six
Starring: Dieter Laser, Ashley C Williams, Ashlynn Yennie, Akihiro Kitamura

Well I can honestly say that this was definitely one of the more interesting horror films of recent years. With a fairly grotesque and unique concept, this will definitely not appeal to everybody.

A new twist on the mad scientist story, The Human Centipede follows a retired surgeon as he lives out his sick, lifelong fantasy. After a pair of young American women are left stranded during their trip through Germany, they come to an isolated villa where the creepy German Dr Heiter (brilliantly played by Dieter Laser) invites them in so that they may use his phone. But of course that doesn't happen. Instead, the two girls Lindsay (Ashley Williams) and Jenny (Ashlynn Yennie) awaken in a makeshift surgery located in Dr Heiter's basement, along with a Japanese man. Eventually the doctor reveals his ultimate plan. Before he retired he specialized in separating conjoined twins, but now he wants to be the first ever surgeon to connect humans via their gastric systems, creating a human centipede!

Yes the concept is disgusting but strangely enough rather than being repulsed, this movie actually had me laughing a lot. Especially when it dawned on me that the person who was the 'head' of the centipede would no doubt need to take a dump sooner or later, and there was only one place it could go...

The movie is very well written and the actors do a superb job, especially Dieter Laser. And you have to give Ashley, Akihiro and Ashlynn credit, seeing as they are surgically joined from ass to mouth for a large chunk of the film. In my opinion this a definitely a must-see film for all horror fans, although I do admit they will either love it or hate it. I loved it.

And keep your eyes out for the sequel coming soon, The Human Centipede - Full Sequence. Apparently it has a 12-person centipede this time!




1 comment:

  1. I had never seen this movie before last week when I was rambling through dish online and saw it on IFC for viewing. I am with you Jake, I laughed at the movie just because of the absurdity of it. Dieter did do an outstanding job with his character, he was calm and collective. I will admit it was the first time that I had seen a man trying to train a human being. I about fell out of my chair when Dieter was screaming "feed her", I think it was one of the funnier things I have ever seen in a movie. I was telling a friend at work about the movie, and he told me as well I should see the second one with a snicker. I should have kept it down, because the supervisors at DISH apparently don't like hearing about human centipedes. The second movie was a total reversal from this movie, I have yet to tell if Six is a genius or a mad man.

    ReplyDelete