9.21.2011

CHROMESKULL: LAID TO REST II (2011) Review


Directed by: Robert Hall
Starring: Brian Austin Green, Nick Principe, Danielle Harris, Thomas Dekker
It seems like I've been waiting forever to see this film, ever since I first watched Laid to Rest which I enjoyed immensely. September 20 has now come and gone and I finally had my chance to see Robert Hall's CHROMESKULL: LAID TO REST II.

I guess it's not really necessary to have seen the first film if you want to enjoy this sequel, but I would recommend it. The movie picks up where the first one left off. The unknown girl from the first film and her companion Tommy (Dekker) are the only survivors from Chromeskull's massacre. He has had his face melted off, and his head bashed in so obviously he is dead right? Wrong. Chromeskull is not dead, and neither is he alone. After Tommy and the girl flee the scene of the crime, the rest of Chromeskull's organization show up to revive him and clean up all of the evidence.
While they're patching him up, another member of this organization, Preston (Green) decides to find the nameless girl and kill her himself. Chromeskull gets more than a little pissed off about this, because as he says via text message "I CATCH MY OWN FISH". Unfortunately Preston keeps pressing on, and in fact for the bulk of the film the real Chromeskull doesn't even make much of an appearance, it's just this Preston guy in a mask.
Meanwhile Tommy is trying to help the police catch the masked killer, and rescue another female victim who has been kidnapped. Things don't go so well at the police station and Tommy finds himself abducted and imprisoned alongside with the missing girl Jess (Mimi Michaels). They alert the police to their location, and all they can do while they're waiting is to try and stay alive.

I won't say any more since I don't want to spoil the film. I actually enjoyed this as much as the first movie, and it has plenty of gore and a few inventive death scenes too. I've always loved the death scenes and the way that Chromeskull's knife seems to slice though flesh, muscle and bone with such ease.
Most of the carnage happens in the last half hour or so, but the wait is definitely worth it. There are a few holes in the plot and some things that don't make a lot of sense (like the fact that the organization seems to have a tattoo artist conveniently on hand) but I could say that about almost every movie I've ever seen. The organization isn't really explained at all either. Where do they get all of their resources? Why are they killing people? What is Chromeskull's obsession with putting young girls in coffins? I have no clue, but it didn't bother me one bit. I actually preferred not to know, it's a lot better than trying to explain it with some weak back story like a lot of other films do. And perhaps best of all, the end of the movie leaves it open for another sequel. This is definitely one of the better horror films to come out this year, and I highly recommend it.




No comments:

Post a Comment