9.01.2011

SHARKTOPUS (2010) Review


Directed by: Declan O'Brien
Starring: Eric Roberts, Kerem Bursin, Sara Malakul Lane

They say that first impressions are so important. And since this was my first SyFy movie experience, I think it's safe to say that I will be keeping away from them from now on.
I'm not completely stupid, I mean I didn't prepare to watch a movie called SHARKTOPUS and expect it to be a masterpiece. But even with my low expectations I still didn't think that it would be as bad as this. And not just in a couple of areas either, but right across the board. Bad acting, bad writing, bad editing, bad shots, bad special effects and so on. In fact, pick any aspect of this film and I bet you it's bad.
I knew that SHARKTOPUS was going to be horrible, but I was hoping that it would fit into that 'so bad that it's good' category. It didn't. Anyway, I'll try to stop using the word 'bad' now (it's hard) and just get on with the review.

Nathan and Nicole Sands (Eric Roberts & Sara Malakul Lane) are a father/daughter team working for a company called Blue Water, who have been contracted by the navy to genetically engineer a new kind of weapon. Somebody has had the bright idea of creating a shark/octopus hybrid or as they refer to it 'S11'.
But while testing the Sharktopus, it's control system is damaged and it goes rogue. So Nathan recruits the young Andy Flynn (Kerem Bursin) to head out with his daughter on a tiny fishing boat and attempt to catch the enormous creature.

So basically after the creature escapes it decides to head on down to Mexico and go on a killing spree. The bulk of the movie is just a series of death scenes. The Sharktopus eats everybody from beachgoers to bungee jumpers, while Nicole and Andy chase after it in their undersized boat and eventually defeat the beast.

Do yourself a favor. Don't see SHARKTOPUS. That is all.




No comments:

Post a Comment