7.05.2011

Wes Craven THE FOUNTAIN SOCIETY Book Review


Any self respecting horror fan knows who Wes Craven is. He has directed some of the best and most original films out there, along with some not so great ones (Cursed comes to mind). But what a lot of people might not know, is that Wes is also an author. I didn't know this either, until I stumbled upon this book a few weeks ago while browsing the shelves at the local Op Shop. The thing that first caught my attention was not Craven's name, but the flashy holographic cover which shows a man progressing from young to old, or vice versa. Then I read the author's name and the first thought that ran through my head was 'oh great, another celebrity after more money', so I wasn't exactly enthused. But the book only cost a dollar so I thought what the hell.
So now we have a flashy cover, a big name author and what the book sleeve tells me is a tale about breakthrough medical technology, a governmental conspiracy, and a life after death romance. Very intriguing to say the least.

This is Wes' first and so far last book to date, and I really wish he'd hurry up and write another. The book was really that good, especially for a debut. I guess he's had a lot of practice writing scripts and screenplays, but even still I'm guessing they differ a fair bit from an actual novel.

The first thing I should mention is that the story is less horror and more thriller. It revolves around a brilliant scientist name Dr Peter Jance who is working on some important weapons research for the military. Unfortunately he's getting old and dying from cancer. Enter Dr Frederick Wolfe, the cold and dark genius who, along with Peter's wife Beatrice has discovered the secret of immortality.
We are also introduced to a pair of young lovers, Elizabeth and Hans who are unknowingly involved in Wolfe's sinister plans. But how? As we read on, all of the pieces fall into place to create a very satisfying and tense thriller. 

If I had any criticisms about the book, it would have to be that there were a couple of parts that stretched the word 'coincidence' a little too far for my liking. And the ending was a little tame for my tastes, but still worked well with the rest of the story. This is a great novel, a fantastic debut and proof that Wes Craven's talents extend beyond just film. Definitely a book worth checking out, whether you are a fan of Wes himself or just horror/thriller stories in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment