6.17.2011

THE LOVED ONES (2009) Review


Directed by: Sean Byrne
Starring: Robin McLeavy, Xavier Samuel, John Brumpton

Well this is going to be an extremely easy review. This is with no doubt one of my favorite horror films of all time, and definitely my favorite Aussie horror. In fact this is what really got me into Australian horror films in the first place, before seeing The Loved Ones I was under the impression that they were all pretty crappy. But now that I've seen a lot of them I've realized that are actually a few hidden gems out there.

Anyway, on with the review!

The plot is pretty simple: A psychotic girl asks a boy to the high school Prom but is rejected. Along with her nutcase father, she kidnaps him and ties him up and tortures him etc. But it's the other elements along the way which make it such a brilliant film. In the opening scene, Brent (Xavier Samuel from Twilight - but don't let that put you off) is driving with his father. In order to avoid a bloody and naked man stumbling across the road, Brent swerves and hits a tree which results in the death of his father.
During his mother's emotional collapse following the accident Brent escapes into a world of drugs and heavy metal music to block out the pain. But Brent has a chance at happiness with his girlfriend Holly who is going to the Prom with him. However, everything falls apart when Lola (the amazingly sadistic Robin McLeavy) is rejected and plans to get her revenge.

What follows is a descent into hell as Lola and her father (John Brumpton) torture Brent relentlessly. There were a few unique ideas too, I especially liked the one involving the teakettle (you'll see what I mean)
And when you discover what Lola and her father have underneath the floorboards of their home I guarantee you'll be blown away.

I know there's a chance I may be biased seeing as I'm Australian, but I doubt it. It's not exactly a unique or original film, but what it lacks in that department it makes up for in every other. Definitely a must see for any horror fan. I'll even post the trailer for those who haven't seen it yet. And make sure not to watch the other 'official HD trailer' because it actually has a couple of spoilers in it.





No comments:

Post a Comment